Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thing #20 - Facebook and MySpace


I joined Facebook last fall (again, so I could understand what my own kids were into) but I haven't used it too much and here's why: I have only three friends, my son and two nieces. It seems that not many people my age have Facebook accounts, and without friends, what's the point of Facebook?! I can see why it's popular - it's a great way to keep in touch with lots of friends. My son has tons of them from college, work, hometown, you name it. This way he can communicate with them all at once - how easy is that?
I joined the 23 Things on a Stick group and wrote on their wall, as well as my own wall. I looked at a number of groups - it's kind of wild to see comments from people all around the globe! I read an article recently about college libraries using Facebook - asking their student workers to be friends and hoping to grow their friends lists through them - is this a little creepy? I'm not sure I would be comfortable asking my students to be my friends on Facebook - or maybe I should say I don't think my students would like to have me for their friend. I prefer Facebook to MySpace for personal use, but when I observe people on computers at our public library, they're all using MySpace, so there's a real market there - I think the people using computer libraries to access the Internet are more likely MySpace users - the Facebook users are probably accessing it from home or school (of course, never from work :-)). One obvious thing it could be used for is simply to announce (advertise) what's going on at the library - programs and events. That would be a start.

No comments: