Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thing #10 - Wikis

First off, the Commoncraft video was very helpful - aren't they always? I think wikis are wonderful!! I hope this makes up for my bah humbug attitude about GoogleDocs and Zoho. This is truly a simple way to collaborate. I saw some interesting school library wikis. I'm considering using a wiki now for my upper elementary students to post their recommended books. The only possible drawback to wikis is (and I don't really consider this a drawback) that anyone taking information from a wiki needs to understand that it has to be evaluated just like any other information source. So do I think teachers should ban Wikipedia as a source for student research? I don't know. For sure, any info should be corroborated. Hey, we read books that have errors, don't we? Just because something's printed in a book that doesn't make it true. Yes, I know... at least with a book there is editorial oversight. But we should always be reminding our students: buyer beware! They need to be taught to evaluate all information. So Wikipedia would be one source, but absolutley not the only source. I added my two bits to the 23 Things on a Stick wiki.

No comments: