Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thing #12 - Do You Digg


No, I don't. But I Mixx. I looked at each of the sites and liked Mixx the best - I just liked the way it was set up. The categories (popular, news, entertainment, tech, etc.) made it feel easier to use. I read an article on the NYTimes Web site and shared it on Mixx - it was an article about health insurance, a topic that becomes more important to me as my husband and I consider retirement before we can qualify for Medicare. Yikes! Anyway, it was very easy to sign up and to share.
But the question remains: how could I use these tools in my library or at home?? I am no newshound and I refuse to listen to talk radio or television and I generally don't care much for reality TV shows - am I totally out of step with the world? And really, should I care about how much karma I've accumulated? There are only 24 hours in a day and I don't really want to spend any more of them staring at a computer screen than I have to, so I don't expect to be making much use of my Mixx account (but we'll see). All I can say is that I've only checked my GoogleReader account twice since I signed up - I'm afraid of how much is there now! I cannot imagine this being anything but a productivity detractor. Yes, I read the comment about how librarians should be on top of the popular topics because people will come to the library wanting more information. Wouldn't it be something if we had enough staff to be able to spend the time on these social media sites preparing to offer more our customers more information - this is not the world I live in.

No comments: