Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing #14 - LibraryThing

I'd heard about LibrarThing some time ago, but had never thought about using it myself until now. I'd always thought of it as a tool to catalog books that I own, and honestly, I don't have much of a personal library (I work in a library - I borrow books, I don't buy them!!). But now I see that this could be a very useful tool. For the past ten years or more, I have kept a journal in which I record all the books I read. With a written journal, however, it's hard to quickly find which books by a certain author I've already read - no more! LibraryThing is so easy to search - this is going to be great! At school, I ask my 5th and 6th graders to keep reading logs - we do this on paper. Now I am definitely considering having the kids keep their logs using LibraryThing. Hopefully this will be more fun for them. It would also be a good way for me to feature new books, award books, etc. from my home page - I had thought about using a blog for that, but LibraryThing might work even better.

No comments: